January 28, 2015

Tear (Seaside #1) by Rachel Van Dyken


Goodreads Summary:
Life as a teenager is never easy. But for Natalee Murray, things have just gotten way more difficult. Bored with life, she can't wait to graduate high school and get out of town, especially considering the famous band members from AD2 suddenly start attending her school, making her once boring life, absolutely insane.

It starts with a pen. A single brush of fingers, and she is captivated.

But Alec and Demetri have a dark secret, one that could shatter their reputations and Natalee's heart. What do you do when one guy paints your life with color while the other infuses your soul with passion? How do you choose when your heart is divided?
***

Let me start off saying that the idea of the story was good. I love the idea behind it, I even loved the little love triangle going on which is weird for me to say because I'm usually against them. However, this book was a bit frustrating for me. It seemed very choppy in the beginning and just didn't flow like the other books I've read of Rachel's. it started to run more fluidly towards the end, but was still choppy. You could see the improvement but there was still something missing from making everything sound smooth. 

Nat pissed me off a bunch of times also. She seemed like she was always either crying or snapping at one of the brothers.  She seemed fine in some parts but other than that I feel like I don't really know Nat that well. With the brothers, Alec and Demetri, I felt like I knew them. They were more complex characters where Nat wasn't. 

I was disappointed with this book because I know how well Rachel Van Dyken can write. I loved the other series she wrote (Ruin) and had high hopes with this one. However, like I said before the writing just seemed choppy and because of it you couldn't fully immerse yourself in the story. You were left a bit disconnected. 

The reason I kept on reading, despite the choppiness, was the mystery. I wanted to see how everything unfolded because like I said before the story line and plot were good. I loved these boys because they were complex. There was more to these characters than meets the eye, which was more to say than Nat. 

If the stories were written as well as her Ruin Series, I would've been ADDICTED! I mean how could anyone not? 2 hot rock star brothers? A deep dark secret they didn't want to reveal to anyone? 

I'm hoping the writing is improved throughout the series, because I'm curious to see Demetri's story will pan out. 

Love,
Liv

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...