January 30, 2015

Pull (Seaside #2) by Rachel Van Dyken


Goodreads Summary:
Jaded rock star, Demetri Daniels, is in Hell — also known as Seaside, Oregon. Sent to rehab after nearly getting himself killed last year, his record company wants nothing more than for him to lay low, away from the limelight.

Irritated and more alone than he’s ever been in his life, Demetri tries desperately to rebuild his shattered reputation as a drug addict and player, which proves to be difficult when he meets Alyssa.

Alyssa is everything he should stay away from. She’s beautiful, smart, but above all else, she’s damaged. And one thing Demetri has learned is two broken hearts don’t equal a whole.
In the end, he has to decide if he can rise above the life he’s created in learning from his past mistakes, or fall into the darkness of his choices.
***

I liked this book! To me, it was a lot better than the first one in the series. I felt like I could connect more to these characters than I could in the first novel in the story. It was funny, in the first novel starring Nat, I didn't like her at all. She seemed to do nothing but cry and snap at others. However, in this book when she would make an appearance every once in awhile I liked her! She didn't seem half bad and I think she only cried 2 times, so new record for her!

I did like Alyssa. Even though at times I wanted to push her grieving process along I knew that if Rachel Van Dyken had done that it would have seemed unrealistic and probably would have ruined the story. When you lose someone you love so much it takes a lot of time to grieve and accept that they are gone. It seemed like she refused herself to grieve and purposely made herself stuck in the past which was really sad to read.

I loved Demetri so much more in this book too. He seemed more put together and his character seemed more thought out. Not saying his character wasn't thought out in the first book because I thought it was, but because you got to see from his point of view it made him seem more real.

I love Rachel Van Dyken's twists and turns in all of her novels. You never truly know what is going to happen in her books and that is honestly why I love her so much. Everything will be going fine then BAM either something happens or there's a hint that makes us doubt what we originally thought the book was going to play out. She keeps you guessing and keeps you on the edge of your seat in all her novels. Also, I love how the secrets some characters have aren't cliche, their unique and shocking. You can tell she puts a lot of thought into each characters background story to make them feel more real and easy to connect with.

If you are looking for a new author to fall in love with, I highly recommend Rachel Van Dyken!

Love,
Liv

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...