February 22, 2015

Twilight (Twilight #1) by Stephanie Meyers


Goodreads Summary:
About three things I was absolutely positive:

First, Edward was a vampire.

Second, there was a part of him - and I didn't know how dominant that part might be - that thirsted for my blood.

And third, I was unconditionally and irrevocably in love with him.



When Bella Swan moves to the gloomy town of Forks and meets Edward Cullen, her life takes a thrilling and terrifying turn. With his porcelain skin, golden eyes, mesmerizing voice, and supernatural gifts, Edward is both irresistible and impenetrable. Up until now, he has managed to keep his true identity hidden, but Bella is determined to uncover his dark secret.

What Bella doesn't realize is the closer she gets to him, the more she is putting herself and those around her at risk. And it might be too late to turn back...
***

Talk about a THROWBACK! I don't know anyone who hasn't read Twilight or haven't seen the movies. This series is so widely known now. I read this book almost about 6 years ago! Twilight was the very first book I read (not counting the books I was forced to read in school). My math teacher was the one that persuaded me to read this book. She was a hardcore fan and if she could I bet she would have made our whole math class read it! When I read the book back then I had nothing to compare it to because, like I said, at the time I never read anything like it. I have heard over the years how poorly written the books were and just so much criticism but because at the time I had nothing to compare it to I loved it and because it was so many years ago that I have read it I don't really remember if it was horribly written or if the plot was poorly displayed. I saw the movie come on the TV a couple of days ago and thought of all the criticism on this book and decided to read it now since I've read so many books since then.

So on we go with my thoughts!

So rereading this book I tried to be on alert for all the criticisms I've heard over the years, but really I don't fully understand why there are so many. Actually I think I know why. I think the readers were more older than the intended audience was suppose to be. I hear most of the criticisms from young adults and adults alike but I don't think the book was intended to tend to an older crowd. The sentences are simple, and the words aren't overly complicated. If I could understand every word and comprehend everything that was going on when I read it 6 years ago (I was around 12) then it's not that hard of a book to read whatsoever. Reading it again now 6 years later I can see a big difference between not only the content but the diction used in this book and say a young adult/new adult book. I believe preteens around the ages 12-14 were the intended audience, because the book was written in a simple manner that's easily understood. So I feel if someone is going to criticize this book if you have to take into consideration who the audience is intended for.


Now since I read it so long ago I forgot how the characters in the book were. If someone asked me to describe Bella and Edward I would describe their characters from what I remembered from the movies and I would've been off completely! I started this book with the thought that Bella was this socially awkward odd girl (because that's how Kristen Stewart portrays her) but that's not how she is. At least not in my book! Never once did I get that feeling of her being socially awkward or really awkward in any way. She was clumsy sure but not awkward. Bella is independent and I feel like she's always kinda stuck to herself, not because she's socially awkward but because she wants to. Bella was also very innocent and I feel like that with the mixture of her clumsiness and her independence they labeled her socially awkward in the movies which is annoying! Also, in the books it seemed like Bella was desired by basically every guy she came into contact with at that school! I feel like a lot has to do that shes a new face and therefore more desirable than the other girls they're used to seeing but I feel like she had to be more than average looking and (not bagging on Kristen Stewarts looks) but they picked a pretty average looking gal to play her part. I just feel like they didn't understand Bella's character at all. Edward's character I'm actually fine with how they portrayed him in the movies. They did pretty good at that. 

What I found annoying and what helped make me believe this book was intended for a younger audience was how quickly they fell like love. It ridiculously fast. He stopped talking to her for like 2 months or something and then says a couple words to her and all of a sudden shes claiming that shes "unconditionally and irrevocably in love with him". Like really? I can count on my fingers the amount of times she's had a conversation with him. Not only that but he ignored her for a long ass time! I don't know about you but when someones hot and cold like that the first emotion that comes to me is not love. 

Another thing I noticed that was different from the books than the movies was how Bella found out that he was a vampire. They tell a different story than the movie. I'm not going to go into detail on this tidbit just in case you haven't read the book but have seen the movie and were curious, I don't know I just don't want to spoil it!

Anyway! If I read it now for the first time I honestly don't see myself reading the other books just because I'm older now, my reading comprehension is at a higher level, and I want more of a realistic love story. However, at the time I first read it I loved this book! I remember first reading this book and all of a sudden it made sense why people wrote novels and why people liked to read because before I didn't understand whatsoever. Twilight was the book that got me addicted to reading. I honestly due owe so much to Twilight believe it or not because if I didn't read that book I probably would be a different person all together today. Since Twilight introduced me to reading I give Twilight all the credit. Reading has been my coping mechanism through my hardest times, my escape from reality, a place I can find solace, and so much more. 

Love,
Liv


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...