January 25, 2015

Ruin (Ruin #1) by Rachel Van Dyken


I'm not your typical girl. I've been running away from the memories that haunt me for so long that depression has become my only comfort. I was content in the darkness...until Wes Michals offered to be my light.

I didn't know that time wasn't my ally -- that every second that ticked past was one step closer to the end of something that was beginning to mean the end of myself. He tried to warn me. He promised me all he was able to offer--each moment as it came--but it would never be enough.

Sometimes when you think it's the end, it's only the beginning. Wes thought he could save me, but in giving me everything, he ruined me. Because after one kiss, one touch, I couldn't--I wouldn't ever be the same.

And from that moment on, his heartbeat became my own.

Oh my goodness! I had to copy over the summary from Goodreads because I didn't know how to write a short summary that wouldn't spoil anything. This book...WOW!
***
In the beginning there were hints here and there that created mystery and really intrigued me to keep on reading. I knew there was something deep that each character was hiding I just wasn't aware what. With Kierstan you figure out soon what happened in her past but Wes' secret you figure out later on and good gracious! Both stories made me EMOTIONAL. I don't think I've ever cried so long while reading a book. I needed a box of tissues...maybe two or three. Not only is this book a tear jerker (a hardcore one too) but it's also a page turner. I couldn't wait to turn the page and figure out what would happen next.

The things Wes would say were SWOON WORTHY! I was a bit jealous of Kierstan if I'm being totally honest. And what I loved about all the things he said were that they weren't cheesy in the slightest. It's hard sometimes reading a book and the love interests say cheesy stuff, most of the time I think to myself "Yeah right no guy would ever say that" but I didn't think that once in this book. What he said felt real and I loved it!

I loved all the characters in this book, besides one but that character is only briefly introduced and then thankfully we don't hear from them again. The secondary characters, Lisa and Gabe were wonderful! I believe every person needs those two people in their lives! Gabe is protective, nice, and isn't hard on the eyes either! Lisa is an impulsive, crazy, loving person and Kierstan really needed friends like Gabe and Lisa in her life.

I don't know really how to review much more because I don't want to spoil anything. Trust me you'd all hate me if I did. I love how this author wasn't obvious with her hints. You couldn't really pinpoint what was going to happen. She left it vague enough that multiple scenarios could happen. WHICH I LOVED! So many books are too predictable it was refreshing to read a book where it felt like you were on the edge of your seat anxious to read what's going to happen next. 

This is the first book I have read of Rachel's but I LOVED IT. I highly recommend this book!

Love,
Liv

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...